We were invited to spend New Year's Eve with our wonderful Texas friends, Katie and Jon Balciar, and Katie was kind enough to walk me through one of her favorite and easy go to recipes. This was fun to make I loved that it can be made in small or large batches and frozen. These yummy little taquitos are so delicious and my boys ate them up...with no complaints. They were even delicious with prosecco and Champagne!
Prep and Bake Time: 30 minutes
4 Chicken Breasts, shredded (you can add or substitute pork and/or beef too!)
5 oz. Cream Cheese
½ cup Salsa Verde (or canned Green Chilies)
¾ tsp. Cumin
¾ tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 ½ cups shredded Pepper-Jack Cheese
(**U.K.: the best substitute that I could find was shredded cheddar with diced jalapeños added.)
Small (10-15) Corn or Flour Tortillas
4 Tbsp. chopped Cilantro (optional)
2 tbsp. Lime Juice
Sprinkle of Fajita Seasoning
A dash of Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
1) Preheat oven to 425°F (200°C/180°C fan)
2) Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper (or fajita seasoning). Place chicken breast into pan, and add about a 1/3 inch of water to the pan. Cook about 5 minutes each side, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center of the breast. Take the breasts out of the pan, add to a bowl, and pull meat apart using two forks. This gives the chicken a shredded texture.
(Above: My lovely Texas friend Katie showing us how to season the chicken.)
3) Melt your cream cheese until it’s soft. Add cilantro, lime juice, green chilis, chicken, and cheese to a large bowl. Mix until well blended.
4) Add about 2-3 tablespoons of shredded chicken mixture to each tortilla. Roll tight, and place seam side down on parchment or foil lined cookie sheet. Spray with a little cooking spray and sprinkle Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Bake 15-20 minutes. Makes 15-20 taquitos.
"This is the hardest part because I want to lick my fingers the whole time."
- Katie Balciar (Native Texan)
To Freeze & Reheat:
As you roll Taquitos, place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet making sure there is space between each taquito. Then place cookie sheet in freezer. When taquitos are frozen remove and add them to a freezer safe gallon sized bag. Label and add back to freezer. When you are ready to eat, place on foil lined cookie sheet. Spray lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with a little Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Bake in 425°F (200°C/180°C fan) oven for 15-20 minutes or until crispy. Or microwave for 45 seconds -1.15 minutes each depending upon how many.
Thanks a million to the Balciars for a fun filled evening and for introducing us to a new family favorite recipe! Happy 2017!!